Special Edition: How these organizations took away category prizes in Ragan’s Health Care PR & Marketing Awards 2012 contest
Health care PR and marketing pros have learned how to exploit social media and digital PR amazingly fast, as our judges in this year’s Health Care PR & Marketing Awards found out.
Hospital and clinic PR writers and editors made themselves into practitioners whose work in brand journalism, content marketing, marketing, social media, and social community building will stand in comparison with the best work of experts in any industry.
That’s why it’s worth your while to study the winners of this year’s contest carefully. Please take a few minutes to scan the work of the winners below. You simply won’t find better case studies of content marketing, for example, anywhere else in corporate or organizational journalism.
Next year, we expect to see your health care PR and marketing work submitted for this awards contest, alongside the work of several hundred colleagues who made the 2012 awards so rewarding our judges.
Thank you, one and all, for this exhilarating display of excellence in 2012!
Winner: Orlando Health and Arnold Palmer Hospital, Illuminate Blog
- Affinity Health System, Affinity Blog
- Baylor Health Care System, Sammons Says
- Rex Healthcare, Rex Connects
- USANA Health Sciences, What's Up, USANA?
- Via Christi Health, Via Christi Women's Connection
Best Cover Lines (Print or Electronic Publication)
Winner: A.T. Still University of Health Sciences, Still Magazine
- American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH), Healthyroads
- NYU Langone Medical Center, News & Views
Best Design (Print or Electronic Publication)
Winner: Children's Hospital Colorado, Let It Be Us
- A.T. Still University of Health Sciences, Still Magazine
- Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland, Children's Hospital Service Line Marketing Collateral
- Purdue University, HHS Life 360
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Breakthroughs
- St. Charles Health System, St. Charles Health System Annual Report
Best Electronic Publication
Winner: UNC Health Care, UNC Health Care Employee News Online
- 360 Public Relations LLC and Adora Calcium, Women's Circle of Health
- Akron Children's Hospital, Developments
- Seattle Children's Hospital, 2011 Academic Annual Report
- Sparrow Health System, 2011 Annual Report
- VSP Vision Care, EnVision Newsletter
Best Feature Article (Print or Electronic Publication)
Winner: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Foundation
- Beaumont Health System
- Genex Services, Inc.
- Saxum Strategic Communications
- UCB Inc.
Best Fitness or Health Campaign
Winner: Kaiser Permanente, Every Body Walk!
- HealthSTAR PR, LLC and Abbott Laboratories, T-Talk Tune-Up Promote's Men's Health: Men know more about their cars than their health
- Humana, Wellness Week
- Marshfield Clinic, Don't Just Live. Shine.
- Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Million Hearts
- The Nemours Foundation, Let's Move! Child Care
Winner: Kaiser Permanente
- Children’s Hospital Colorado
- NorthBay Healthcare
Winner: The Mount Sinai Medical Center, Can I get Cancer from Oral Sex?
- APCO Worldwide, Shot@Life
- BCBSNC, Obesity Infographic
- Pyramid Communications, Fresh Produce: Access and Equity
Best Interview or Profile (Print or Electronic Publication)
Winner: USANA Health Sciences, Dean Sherri & Matt Chionis
- DSM, Biomaterials and the Future of Medical Devices
Best Interview Video
Winner: The Nebraska Medical Center
- Smith & Jones, Ellis Medicine 2012 Maternity Campaign Patient Interview
- Children's National Medical Center, "When I Go Home"
- Kaiser Permanente, "Getting to Know Him"
- Shodair Children's Hospital, "Champion Child"
Winner: The Nemours Foundation, NemoursNet
- MedSynergies, Inc., myMedSynergies
- NYU Langone Medical Center, NYULMC2
Best Marketing Campaign
Winner: APCO Worldwide, Shot@Life Campaign
- Children's National Medical Center, Parent's Letter Project
- Lovelace Health System, Lovelace Health System Labor of Love
- Neurofibromatosis Northeast, Beauty Mark Nation
- NYU Langone Medical Center, Any Given Moment
- The Mount Sinai Medical Center, National Donate Life Month at Mount Sinai
Best Marketing Video
Winner: Orlando Health, The Tin Man—Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children
- Children's Hospital Colorado, We are Children's Hospital Colorado
- Fleishman-Hillard Kansas City and Genentech, Faces of Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC)
- Kaiser Permanente, A Better Way NPC Video
- St. Luke's Health System, Exergy Tour
Best Online Newsroom
Winner: Baylor Health Care System
Best Photography (Print or Electronic Publication)
Winner: Sparrow Health System, Quiet for You
- Franklin Street Marketing and HCA Virginia, Life. You only get one.
- MSLGROUP Americas and Procter & Gamble, Clearblue
- Smith & Jones, Ellis Medicine 2012 Maternity Campaign Photography
Best Print Publication
Winner: Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, Breakthroughs
- Children's Hospital Colorado, Seeing Around Corners
- Express Scripts, 2011 Drug Trend Report
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Messenger
- NYU Langone Medical Center, i3—iCubed
Best Public Service Announcement
Winner: Kaiser Permanente, Walk-And-Talk with Every Body Walk!
- Alzheimer's Foundation of America, Together for Care Telethon
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Decide to Drive: A Public Service Awareness Campaign
- Children's Hospital Colorado, Healthy Kids: Ask the Expert
- Delta Dental Plans Association, The Original Tooth Fairy Poll
- Wellmont Health System, Hand hygiene
Best Social Intranet
Winner: Children's Hospital Boston, Social Platform for Accelerating Resources and Connections
- Avow Hospice, Inc., Message Central Weekly Employee Communication
Best TV Advertising Campaign
Winner: Marshfield Clinic, Don't Just Live. Shine.
- AFLAC and HK Strategies, Real Agents, Real Stories
- BCBSNC, Let's Talk Cost
- Doner Advertising and OhioHealth, Believe in WE
- MedStar Health, #1 for a reason
- Rex Healthcare, Brand New Day
Best Use of Social Media
Winner: Children's National Medical Center, For innovative use of social media to benefit children’s health
- Atomicdust and Mosby's Nursing Suite, Superheroes of Nursing
- CRT/tanaka and the American Physical Therapy Association, Move Forward Campaign
- Mayo Clinic, ABC Nightline Transplant Initiative
- Renown Children's Hospital, People's Choice Student Art Contest
Winner: Children's Hospital Colorado, Orthopedics Institute Website
- A.T. Still University of Health Sciences, Still Magazine Online
- APCO Worldwide, Shot@Life Campaign
- BCBSNC, Let's Talk Cost
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital Website
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Redesign of mskcc.org
Grand Prize Health Care PR & Marketing Campaign of the Year
Winner: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Communications Around the Nation's First Full Facial Transplant
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Wounded in Action: An Exhibition of Orthopaedics in Art
- Atomicdust and Mosby's Nursing Suite, Superheroes of Nursing Campaign
- BCBSNC, Let's Talk Cost
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, The Promise of Medicine
- MSLGROUP Americas and Prilosec OTC, A Better Way to Tailgate